The Store has been in business, in some form or another, since c.1830. Robert Stoll built the store and acted as storekeeper from 1830-1872. It passed through multiple storekeepers before it was sold to the U.S. in 1969 as part of the Tocks Island Damn project.
The photo above shows a lunchroom on the side of the building that was later removed.
Peters Valley began running the store in 1971; opening its first gallery in 1974. Today, the space hosts over 200 artists who sell their work through the first floor Retail Gallery as well as an upstairs Exhibition Gallery that regularly displays work by living artists from across the country.
Learn more about the full campus's history here